Cary L. Lackey Esq.
Cary L. Lackey was admitted to the practice of law in Arizona on October 21, 1995, following his graduation from the Arizona State University College of Law (Class of '95).
In 1995, Mr. Lackey began his legal career with the Maricopa County Public Defenders Office in downtown Phoenix, Arizona as a Deputy Public Defender. Mr. Lackey represented indigent clients accused of Felony and Misdemeanor offenses including, but not limited to: Aggravated DUI, DUI, Vehicular Manslaughter, Assault, Substance Abuse Crimes, Sex Crimes, and Probation Violation Matters.
In 1998, Mr. Lackey moved on to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, California as a Staff Attorney. Mr. Lackey drafted Memorandum Opinions and presented oral arguments on Criminal and Immigration Appeals for review by a three Judge panel on a monthly basis.
In 1999, Mr. Lackey returned to the Valley of the Sun where he began work as an Associate Attorney for the Phoenix Law Firm of Streich Lang, P.A. (Now Quarles Brady, L.L.P.) Mr. Lackey worked in the White Collar Criminal Division of the Firm where he represented individuals and corporations accused of criminal offenses in both Federal and State Courts.
In 2000, Mr. Lackey began work as a Deputy County Attorney in the Civil Division of the Maricopa County Attorney's Office in downtown Phoenix. Mr. Lackey represented and defended Maricopa County employees in various civil matters in both Federal and State Courts.
In 2002, Mr. Lackey opened The Law Office of Cary L. Lackey, P.C. to provide individuals with quality legal representation in the Criminal, Administrative, and Civil Law areas.
Mr. Lackey is a Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the National College for DUI Defense, the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the Federal Bar Association, the Maricopa County Bar Association, the National Bar Association, the Hayzel B. Daniels Bar Association (the Arizona Black Bar Association), and the Sports Lawyers Association.
Mr. Lackey is a Certified Agent with the Canadian Football League Players' Association.
Mr. Lackey is also a Member of the Arizona State University Alumni Association, the Drake University Alumni Association, and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Mr. Lackey grew up locally in Phoenix, Arizona and is a graduate of South Mountain High School in South Phoenix.
Law School Internship Positions
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Los Angeles, California, Legal Intern., 1994
Brown & Bain, P.A., Phoenix, Arizona, Legal Writing Intern., 1994
Law Clerk, City of Tempe Attorney's Office, Tempe, Arizona, 1993
State of Arizona, Office of the Attorney General, Phoenix, Arizona, Governor's Summer Intern., 1993
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Arizona, 1995
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1998
- Arizona State University, College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- J.D. - May, 1995
- Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
- B.A. - December, 1989
- National Bar Association Magazine, Washington, District of Columbia, Assistant Editor, 1998
- Legal Writing and Research Instructor, University of California Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California, 1998
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Award, Arizona State University College of Law
- Law Student Fellow, Arizona Bar Foundation
- Who's Who Among American Law Students
- Honors Nominee, Legal Methods and Writing
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Association for Justice
- National Bar Association
- Hayzel B. Daniels Bar Association
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco, 1998
- Charles Houston Bar Association, 1998
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity, 1994 - 1995
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Los Angeles, California, Legal Intern., 1994
- Brown & Bain, P.A., Phoenix, Arizona, Legal Writing Intern., 1994
- State of Arizona, Office of the Attorney General, Phoenix, Arizona, Governor's Summer Intern., 1993
- Canadian Football League Players Association, Contract Advisor/Agent
- Sports Lawyers Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- University of California Hastings College of the Law College of Advocacy, San Francisco, California, Participant, 1997
- Arizona College of Trial Advocacy, Tucson, Arizona, Participant, 1996
- Maricopa County Bar Association Law Week Phone-A-Lawyer and Ask-A-Lawyer participant, 2003 - Present